Life is hard. We shouldn’t be surprised by that fact.
There are many voices saying that life shouldn’t be hard but the truth is: Life. is. Hard. The Bible tells us that we should expect suffering and trials in this life. Jesus did not have an easy life. His life was one marked by persecution, loneliness and death at a young age. If we are called to be image-bearers of Jesus Christ, what makes us think our lives should be easy?
Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you;
- He told God how he felt. He was completely honest with God. David did not pretend that things were better than they were. David put it all out there and share with God exactly what he was feeling. David pleaded with God to restore his life.
- Psalm 3:1 O Lord, I have so many enemies; so many are against me.
- Psalm 4:1 Answer me when I call, O God who declares me innocent. Take away my distress. Have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
- Psalm 6:3 I am sick at heart. How long, O Lord, until you restore me?
- Psalm 6:6 I am worn out from sobbing. Every night tears drench my bed; my pillow is wet from weeping.
- Psalm 10:1 O Lord, why do you stand so far away? Why do you hide when I need you the most?
- Psalm 13:1 O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever? How long will you look the other way?
- Psalm 22:1 My God, my God! Why have you forsaken me? Why do you remain so distant? Why do you ignore my cries for help?
- David asked God for specific things.
- Psalm 3:7 Arise, O Lord! Rescue me, my God! Slap all my enemies in the face! Shatter the teeth of the wicked!
- Psalm 5:3 Listen to my voice in the morning Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.
- Psalm 6:2 Have compassion on me, Lord, for I am weak. Heal me, Lord, for my body is in agony.
- Psalm 7:1 I come to you for protection, O Lord my God. Save me from my persecutors–rescue me!
- Psalm 10:12 Arise, O Lord! Punish the wicked, O God! Do not forget the helpless!
- Psalm 16:1 Keep me safe, O God, for I have come to you for refuge.
- Psalm 17:1 O Lord, hear my plea for justice. Listen to my cry for help. Pay attention to my prayer, for it comes from an honest heart.
- Psalm 17:13 Arise, O Lord! Stand against them and bring them to their knees! Rescue me from the wicked with your sword.
- David Praised God, Gave Thanks, and Worshipped God.
- Psalm 3:5 I lay down and slept. I woke up in safety, for the Lord was watching over me.
- Psalm 3:8 Victory comes from you, O Lord. May your blessings rest on your people.
- Psalm 4:7 You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and wine.
- Psalm 6:9 The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord will answer my prayer
- Psalm 7:17 I will thank the Lord because he is just; I will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most high.
- Psalm 8:9 O Lord, our Lord, the majesty of your name fills the earth!
- Psalm 9:1 I will thank you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done.
- Psalm 13:6 I will sing to the Lord because he has been so good to me.
David took time in the midst of his struggles and in the middle of his pain to redirect his thoughts. He took his hurts, his pain, his heartache and gave it to God. He told his all that was troubling Him. David asked God to take care of these struggles, and then he thanked God for what He had done, and what He was going to do.
When we take the time to refocus our hearts back to the one who made us and made the world it begins to put all the struggles and pain into perspective. God may choose to allow us to live with pain. His purpose for our lives may involve a lasting pain. In th midst of that pain, don’t forget that God can be trusted. He sees things we do not and He has a better plan in mind.
Are you struggling? Is there pain that you live with on a daily basis? How can I pray with you as you face these trials? Please share in the comments if you have something you would like me to pray about with you.